Saturday, 1 February 2014

Unseen Sunsets

I was stuck this weekend until I read a Fellow Toad's poem. There was a line that brought a wave of emotion and energy that I had forgotten about.  The first time I felt this was when I heard this song. by the Who. I was fifteen and I though my heart was going to blow right out of my chest during the Chorus ... "When my fist clenched crack it open ..." . 




The next time I felt this rush of passion and life was when I read Williams Blake's Song's of Innocence and Experience. I get it from writing myself but ... It's been awhile. 

I am so grateful for the gift of expression I can't imaging life with out it. 

******
This poem is for those who can.
And those who do in spite of the don'ts.
The stone cold deaf left for dead. 
With symphonies still in their heads.

Lord, save us from those
who murder music before it's composed.

Don't let the best settle for less
Don't listen when wicked and weakness protest
with legal speak designed to drown
the passionate proud sound of life from our chests.

Lord, save us from those
who murder music before it's composed.

From roaring rivers that rips away mountains 
to lonely raindrops that submit to the sand 
My Tribe is connected through the sounds of power 
created each minute, each hour, each day.

Lord, save us from those
who murder music before it's composed.

Please Lord, don't let the visionless 
beat me to death with unseen sunsets.
Leave me with my faith that flows
from heart to hand to poesy and prose

 And show the world if we listen close
we may just hear our first rainbow.

*****
I started writing this for Hannah and the Toads in memory of Beethoven and all those who followed their passion through adversity, by the time I finished there was a new prompt on "Individuality" strangely it works for both so I am posting this on both.

I dedicate this to the the wicked, weak and visionless who one day may find their passion.

I'm actually not a fan of Beethoven, but I am a fan of the peanuts...



Linked to PU OLN 

17 comments:

  1. This is inspired and passionate, Sam...your opening stanza is powerful. Thank you for adding this to the mix!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was researching quotes by Anais Nin for my own poem, I found a quote that your poem totally reminds me of.

    “From the backstabbing co-worker to the meddling sister-in-law, you are in charge of how you react to the people and events in your life. You can either give negativity power over your life or you can choose happiness instead. Take control and choose to focus on what is important in your life. Those who cannot live fully often become destroyers of life.”
    ― Anaïs Nin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FB that's empowering. Our happiness and passion isn't theirs to give us is it? It's ours to claim.

      Delete
    2. just had to chime in and say I adore this quote as well! (just printed it out)

      Delete
  3. So passionate and beautiful Sam...let those of us who have art in us create in spite of obstacles, of critics, of our own demons that would stop us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked a fine Toad for inspiration, Sam. Mama Zen is one of the best, and I loved your reaction to her words about Beethoven.
    And to The Who, too.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I specially admire the refraining line: Lord, save us from those
    who murder music before it's composed.

    Your words inspire Sam ~ And I love that peanut trailer, smiles ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. you truly love music, what a heart wrenching plea

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam, this is one of your best - such power and passion. The lines "The stone cold deaf left for dead / With symphonies still in their heads" are very potent, as are those "who murder music before it's composed." And then "don't let the visionless
    beat me to death with unseen sunsets" really knocks it out of the park. You have outdone yourself here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such compassion, Sam! Your heart and soul all encompassed in the environment of wonderful music. Love it when emotions are struck on the right chords. Great!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved what you did with this Sam--the repetition works so well here for me--

    ReplyDelete
  10. this passion is required iindeed in fact by all of us

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are all connected by music... and we may well listen to the rainbow one day. Beautiful writing. I especially liked the refrain which holds the spirit of the poem.
    And it is true that the emotions and energy are just not right sometimes and we must make the best use of them whenever we are drenched by them.
    -HA (Anmol)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Powerful and inspiring! The rest - music...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Peanuts to (and the musical "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown) This poem is spot on - and I really must get her diary/journals. I am blown away by her words - and yours echo her sentiments beautifully with their well selected rhyme, rhythm and repetition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Raw emotion in this one ... And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please Lord, don't let the visionless
    beat me to death with unseen sunsets.
    Leave me with my faith that flows
    from heart to hand to poesy and prose...

    Such a stunning piece, Sam. Set it to music, sing each word, each line.
    Amen brother!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping for a visit. You comments are appreciated.